Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shake Up Tuesday

Oh my, that was rather...umm...

I am pleased to report that everyone in Room 2 was fine during this afternoon's drama.

Apart from Joseph, who is lying on the floor behind my desk.


Mary is also down, but she at least isn't damaged.

As it happened, most of the children had just gone outside after enjoying lunch and a DVD inside...


...the half a dozen or so who were still inside with me dived under the tables just like they should have done before I even realized that this was a little more than an aftershock! In short, they were brilliant.

We then calmly assembled on the courts to watch some liquefaction first hand.









It was kinda fascinating - it didn't start coming out of the ground until a couple of minutes afterwards.

As for tomorrow - stay at home! As for the rest of the week...watch this space, 'cause at the moment I just don't know. I suspect that we'll have the rest of the week off while we're waiting for a structural check. But that's just me.

I'll let you know as soon as I know.

In the mean time, keep safe, and God bless,

Mr Grant

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nick,
    Please, please, please pass on to all the teachers at OLA how utterly amazing we think you all are. We know that you all had your own families to think about and truly appreciate how blessed we are that you put our children's needs first.
    We hope and pray that all your friends and family are safe at this horrific time.
    Bron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your classes experience with our class. We were happy that everyone was safe in your class. We are Kathleen's classmates at Ridley College in St. Catharines, Ontario. It was interesting to learn about earthquakes because they do not happen as often in Ontario. The liquefaction video of your school ground was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marcie,

    Sorry for the delay in this message (I usually require verification before a comment gets posted - I must have changed a setting somewhere).

    Thank you for your message, and I'm glad you found the video interesting. It was a bit rushed - I was just leaving for home after the last of my class was picked up.

    The liquefaction may be interesting to watch bubbling up (and it is), but boy is it a pain to get rid of. Especially when there is so much of it.

    Nick Grant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bronwyn,

    How are the boys coping with things? My family is fine (Matt's gone up to a mate in Blenheim, just 'cause he could...though finding out he had to go to Malborough Boys for a week or so was a bit of a surprise!)

    I have to say, R2 coped with the whole thing admirably. No tears until they heard the seniors wailing on the court, and then they were short lived. My chn's tears, not the senior's wailing, that is!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    The boys have good days and bad days as do paddy and I. We are in Dunedin as paddy can work from here and the boys are attending St Brigids school for now. We know that we are very lucky to have each other and have yet to tell the boys anything about friends who were not so lucky as they are having nightmares as it is.Our house came out of it pretty good but the thought of hanging around again was too much (friends who have lost their place have been using ours) so we are just trying to find some kind of familiar routine here with family and friends. We have yet to get our heads around what the future holds. Glad your family is ok. Everyone is in our thoughts and prayers - especially those with loved ones who never returned home.
    Take Care
    Bron

    ReplyDelete